- Condense it. If your ERP is 100 pages, pull the critical information so it can be used in a real-life emergency.
- Don’t rely on the Internet. Apps can be stored locally on mobile devices so if the Internet goes down, your emergency response plan will still be available.
- Have a paper back-up. The very thing that limits paper—its lack of technology—makes it an essential layer or emergency preparedness.
- BOTA (Beware of the Acronym). The last thing you want during an emergency is your staff thinking EAP stands for Employee Assistance Program instead of Emergency Action Plan.
- Boost OSHA compliance. 99% of emergency response plans fail to meet some of OSHA’s most basic requirements. Our content consultants can help you.
- Improve your maps. The goal is for someone to be able to read your maps even if the room is smoky and they’re not wearing their glasses. It usually helps to double the size of AED locations, stairwells, gates, key street names, etc. Our design team can enhance your maps.
- Use bullets. In novels, dialogue is effective because it creates soothing white space. Bullets will do the same for your emergency response plan.
- Include the area code in all phone numbers. If someone is from out of town they may not know your area code.
- Your content should flow intuitively. Bomb Threat Checklist should follow Suspicious Package. Hurricane should be next to Earthquake, Tornado, etc.
- Distribute your ERP in the format your staff prefers. Your younger employees will probably want your plan as an app. Your older employees will likely prefer quick-reference guidebooks. If you give it to them both ways, they’ll be more likely to engage it and remember it.
Wellspring Info can improve your emergency response plan, boost your OSHA-compliance, and then turn your plan into emergency guidebooks or an app:
Terms & Conditions of Wellspring Info, Inc.’s content suggestions: Any content or content suggestions provided by Wellspring Info are provided “as is” without representation or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. The risk as to the quality, accuracy, and performance of the content is with you. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Wellspring Info, Inc., its affiliates, employees, shareholders, partners, vendors, and content sources harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs and expenses. © All rights reserved.